|53 East 77th Street, New York, NY 10075
Tel: 212 717-6600 | Fax: 212 717-6813
| An exceptional pair of Louis XVI ormoulu and patinated bronze three-light candelabra on bleu turquin marble bases, the sculpture by Boizot, the bronzes possibly by Gouthière with superb original matte gilding and subtle burnishing. The central standard, encircled by unusually open, twirling ivy vines, forms a thyrsus with a pinecone finial. It centers on three scrolling foliate candle arms issuing from an urn, with unusual bobêches in the form of drooping leaves. The urns are delicately supported by the raised arms of the patinated bronze figures of Zephyrus and Flora and of Love and Friendship sculpted by Louis-Simon Boizot. Each candelabrum rests on a cylindrical bleu turquin marble pedestal mounted with ormoulu floral swags above an ormoulu base cast with acanthus leaves.
A pair of candelabra with these figures was made for Mme. Dubarry by the famous bronze-maker Pierre Gouthière, who had bought the models from Boizot. The present candelabra share many design similarities with known Gouthière works.
The figural groups are identical to those appearing in a famous presentation drawing dated 1790 by Jean-Demosthène Dugourc, architecte et dessinateur Du Cabinet de Monsieur Frère Du Roi, illustrated, Ottomeyer and Pröschel, Vergoldete Bronzen, Munich, 1986, p. 287, 4.15.6. and elsewhere. The drawing shows various ways the bronze figures could have been configured with differing bases and candle arms. The illustrated table bears great similarities to the ormoulu and bleu turquin marble table by Gouthière in the Frick Collection. [A drop from the end of a swag is missing from each candelabrum’s base.]
Probably from the collection of Lord Hertford and/or Sir Richard Wallace
Thence by descent: Sir John E.A. Murray Scott, Bt., 5 Connaught Place, London, sold, Christie's, London, June 24, 1913, lot 45, purchased by Wertheimer
Arnold Seligmann purchased by Alfred C. Chapin, July 10, 1913
Dalva Brothers, New York
French & Co. (New York, 1947, inventory #78561) from whom acquired by a California collector in 1965.
This pair of candelabra was lot 45 in the sale of the collection of Sir John Murray Scott (Christie’s June 24, 1913). Sir John (1847-1912) was the legatee of Lady Wallace and Trustee of the Wallace Collection. Through Lady Wallace, he inherited the entire collection formed by Lord Hertford and Sir Richard Wallace in the rue Laffitte apartment and the Château de Bagatelle in France. He also inherited a part of the collection which was at Hertford House in London. It is most likely that this pair of candelabra was part of his inheritance; however, it cannot be known whether they had been part of the original collection formed by Lord Hertford or whether they were added to the collection by Sir Richard Wallace, although that seems likely.
Sir John Murray-Scott had come as a young man to work as Sir Richard Wallace’s secretary and became Lady Wallace's closest friend and advisor in her final years. Murray-Scott suddenly found himself one of the wealthiest people in Europe and the owner of the rue Laffitte apartment and the château de Bagatelle in Paris, as well as further properties in London.
Whilst most of the finest pictures in the Wallace Collection had been brought to Hertford House, the other properties housed major collections of furniture, sculpture, tapestries and porcelain. During his lifetime Sir John sold Bagatelle to the city of Paris, and on his death, he bequeathed the rue Laffitte apartment and its contents to his friend Victoria, Lady Sackville, wife of the third Baron Sackville of Knole. Lady Sackville quickly sold the rue Laffitte collection to the Paris art dealer Jacques Seligmann, who dispersed it in subsequent years.
Works of art from this second Wallace Collection can now be found in museums and private collections throughout America and Europe.
|Height (ins.): 42.5 (108 cm) Length/Width (ins.): 14 ( 36 cm)|
|Origin: France Period: Louis XVI|