|53 East 77th Street, New York, NY 10075
Tel: 212 717-6600 | Fax: 212 717-6813
| Terracotta tinted plaster vase by Clodion. The body is decorated with a frieze depicting four satyr and eight human children at play. The stylized handles, connected by berried laurel swags, depict chimerical horned creatures with animal features.
The vase is nearly identical to a terracotta vase, the second of a pair in the Hermitage, which was exhibited in the Clodion exhibition held in the Louvre (March 17 - June 29, 1992).
This model, according to Poulet and Scherf, was made probably circa 1775-6 to form a pendant with the first of the pair, which had been made circa 1762. It exhibits a more mature sculptural style, with slightly larger figures and the extensive incising that is a hallmark of Clodion’s mature technique in reliefs.
Signed: CLODION (with a reversed “N”) on the flat rim between the creatures’ horns.
Literature: Anne L. Poulet and Guilhem Scherf: Clodion; Réunion des Musées Nationaux, Paris, 1992. Pages 77-86. The present vase is mentioned on page 80.
|Height (ins.): 9.5 (24cm) Length/Width (ins.): 8.25 (21cm)|
|Origin: France, third quarter 18th century Period: Louis XVI|