Pair of Sèvres cobalt blue vases (vases Étrusque Turpin) decorated in platinum and gold. Each baluster form vase is decorated at the shoulder with a band of twelve gold musical trophy medallions within platinum frames among anthemia and other neoclassic motifs. The lower portion is decorated with palmettes and neoclassical moldings in platinum and gold. Each vase rests on a short flaring socle with an unusual everted rim and has a square ormoulu plinth. The vase Étrusque Turpin owes its name to Lancelot-Théodore Turpin, a famous painter and collector of the first half of the 19th century who worked with Brogniart at Sèvres. The model first appears in 1826 and continued to be made until the 1850’s. Most seem to have been made for various royal residences; pairs are still found at Fontainebleau, Compiègne and Chantilly.
Stenciled Sèvres Monarchie de Juillet marks – both dated 1831 (“7 mai 28” on one)